For all info concerning the European Aluminium EPD Programme, please contact: EPD@european-aluminium.eu.
Since 2006, European Aluminium runs a programme for the environmental declaration of building products (EPD) where aluminium plays a significant role, e.g. aluminium windows, doors, curtain walls, composite panels, cladding or roofing.
This EPD programme follows the specification of ISO14025:2010.
In 2020, European Aluminium updated its EPD programme rules and Products Category Rules (PCR) in order to be aligned with the requirements of the European standards EN 15804:2019 “Sustainability of construction works. Environmental product declarations. Core rules for the product category of construction products”. As required by ISO14025:2010, this update has been reviewed by an external review panel.
The updated programme rules define precisely the organisation and the functioning of the Programme Scheme and include complementary requirements for the modelling of specific products (c-PCR – complementary Product Category Rules). In addition, the requirements for verifying EPDs and EPD software are also defined. As required in the programme rules, a list of pre-approved EPD software for the development of EPDs will be available on this website.
For the verification process of the EPD registered under the European Aluminium Programme Scheme an external third-party verification is required.
Verifiers that wish to verify EPDs for the European Aluminium Programme Scheme shall submit to European Aluminium all necessary documents confirming the fulfilment of the following set of minimum requirements:
- Preferably university degree in engineering or natural science or equivalent disciplines
- Appropriate professional experience in the construction sector or a related field
- Knowledge of the product category and product-related environmental aspects
- Knowledge of the product category and the production processes
- Expertise in LCA and methodology for LCA work
- Practice in using simulation tools for generating LCA (e.g. GaBi, Umberto, Simapro)
- Knowledge of relevant standards in the fields of environmental labelling and declarations and LCA
- Knowledge of the framework within which requirements for Type III environmental declarations have been prepared
- Knowledge of the General Programme Instructions of European Aluminium EPD Programme.
- Previous experiences in the verification of EPDs for registration in Type III Programme Schemes (e.g. at least 5 EPDs verified)
- Professional knowledge of the English language
- Knowledge of the Ökobaudat requirements for modelling and calculation of the indicators, in case the EPD owner wishes to be recognized by the German Ökobaudat database
For more details, please consult section 8 of the European Aluminium programme rules.
The list of approved verifiers is available here (link will be provided soon).
Details about the rules and fees to register verified EPD’s are given here (link will be provided soon)
Finally, the review statement reports the details of the reviewing procedure of the product category rules performed by the external review panel.
European Aluminium is also recognized as Programme Operator by the German Ökobaudat (see here).
The various EPDs developed under the updated European Aluminium EPD program are listed below. Expired EPD’s developed by European Aluminium in the past are listed separately and are available upon request to the programme operator.